Elasticsearch Loader idle

Hi, I’m trying to build lambda architecture with AWS RT pipeline and so far got the collecting and enrichment nailed.
My troubles start with ES loaders. My understanding is that you need to be running 2 instances of the elasticsearch-loader, one consuming the good stream and one for the bad stream. Is it reasonable to have scala enrich + good es loader + bad es loader + s3 loader for batch pipeline in the same ec2 instance within ASG?

The issue I’m having is that the loaders seem to be idle, though not producing any errors. Is there any debug mode?

enrich log:

[RecordProcessor-0000] INFO com.snowplowanalytics.snowplow.enrich.stream.sinks.KinesisSink - Writing 2 records to Kinesis stream enriched_good
[RecordProcessor-0000] INFO com.snowplowanalytics.snowplow.enrich.stream.sinks.KinesisSink - Successfully wrote 2 out of 2 records

es loader good:

[main] INFO com.amazonaws.services.kinesis.clientlibrary.lib.worker.Worker - Starting LeaseCoordinator
[main] INFO com.amazonaws.services.kinesis.clientlibrary.lib.worker.Worker - Initialization complete. Starting worker loop.
[main] INFO com.amazonaws.services.kinesis.clientlibrary.lib.worker.Worker - No activities assigned
[main] INFO com.amazonaws.services.kinesis.clientlibrary.lib.worker.Worker - Sleeping …
[main] INFO com.amazonaws.services.kinesis.clientlibrary.lib.worker.Worker - No activities assigned
[main] INFO com.amazonaws.services.kinesis.clientlibrary.lib.worker.Worker - Sleeping …

Here’s my good loader config:

source = kinesis

sink {
good = elasticsearch

bad = stderr
}

enabled = good

aws {
accessKey = iam
secretKey = iam
}

nsq {
channelName = raw

host = localhost

port = 4150

lookupPort = 4160
}

kinesis {
initialPosition = TRIM_HORIZON

maxRecords = 1000

region = eu-central-1

appName = "snowplow-enrich"
}

streams {
inStreamName = enriched_good

outStreamName = enriched_bad

buffer {
    recordLimit = 500
}
}

elasticsearch {

client {
    endpoint = "127.0.0.1"
    port = "9200"
    maxTimeout = 10
    ssl = false
}

aws {
    signing = false
    region = eu-central-1
}

cluster {
    name = db
    index = snowplow
    clusterType = enriched
}
}

EDIT: I’m using snowplow-elasticsearch-loader-http-0.10.1
snowplow-stream-enrich-0.13.0.
small cluster with elasticsearch 6.2.2

To anyone else, having a similar issue, here’s what I found in a similar thread:

This was applying to me, as in, I used the same appName for enrich and my elasticsearch loader. In hindsight, it should be pretty obvious to store lease coordinator data separately, but seeing as I’m not the first to make this mistake, maybe the docs should emphasize this.

Also, another helpful tip for anyone else struggling with snowplow jar’s during realtime setup (enrich, loaders, collectors):

to print debug messages, run your jar from cli with the debug flag:

-Dorg.slf4j.simpleLogger.defaultLogLevel=debug
1 Like