Help with sending session level data using snowplow android tracker

hi,
i am trying to send events to snowplow collector using android tracker but i see that i always get domain_sessionid, domain_sessionidx as null. my code is as shown below images. please let me know how to send session id .

Hi @harsha,

Those values are generally set by the javascript tracker as they’re based on first party browser cookies.

For the mobile trackers when you’ve set the session context to true, you should see that data come in a separate table for the session_context.

Best,

hi,
The problem here is I don’t see a separate table being created for session_context

These are the only tables available.

@harsha, actually the table name is com_snowplowanalytics_snowplow_client_session_1: https://github.com/snowplow/iglu-central/blob/master/sql/com.snowplowanalytics.snowplow/client_session_1.sql.

Other tables I can see in your screenshot are also named strangely. For example, it is expected com_snowplowanalytics_snowplow_application_background_1 and not just application_background.

The tables would need to be created manually at the moment but we are working on automating this process - missing tables will be discovered and deployed during ETL.

hi,
I am using hosted snowplow on fivetran where all the tables shown in the above picture are created automatically except session_context table. So, i just wanted to know if i am missing some configuration or some error in my code is causing this issue

Hi @harsha,

I don’t know much about it but I do know that Fivetran run quite an old version of Snowplow, which is no longer supported. How they architect our open source tech into their product isn’t really something I can help with - I suggest consulting them about it.

If you want to take full advantage of Snowplow I’d suggest either set up the latest version Open Source or Request a demo for Snowplow insights. There’s a huge amount of value to the pipeline that you’re likely not getting at the moment.

I hope that’s helpful.

Best,

3 Likes