Here at Memrise we have a fantastic team of people working on a product used by millions worldwide that makes learning joyful and effortless, leveraging lots of brain science and plenty of humour in the process.
Now we are looking for another Senior Data Engineer to join our established and growing team of people in our converted chapel in East London to help evolve and scale our category-defining product.
Engineering work at Memrise is in cross-platform teams, with lots of genuine autonomy and the opportunity to work with great technologies. This opportunity presents the rare chance to join a near-profitable startup as it scales from millions to tens of millions of active users, and in doing so make a meaningful impact on how people learn around the world.
As a Data Engineer you’ll play a crucial role in designing and maintaining the data pipeline, taking ownership of building reliable high-performance systems at the cutting edge of technology.
We like working with people with an eye for quality who enjoy just getting things done. You’re a talented engineer and an expert at data pipelines who loves learning new technologies. Collaborating closely with a talented tech team (11 people) and product team (4 people), broad responsibilities will fall on your shoulders as we build a data pipeline that will feed and improve some of the most joyful and widely used learning technology in the world.
It would be great if you had:
• Extensive commercial experience working with web & mobile applications
• Experience designing and building data pipelines for billions of events
• Solid, hands-on knowledge of Python or Java preferred
• Experience with data technologies such as the Hadoop ecosystem, as well as Fling, Storm or similar
• Experience of using machine learning algorithms is a bonus
• A genuine passion for technology, what it can do and how it can be pushed to its limits.
When you work with us, you’ll get to work on:
• High-scale realtime data pipelines
• Streaming platforms like Spark
• Hadoop & related products
• Machine learning
If you aren’t completely confident that you fit our exact criteria, please get in touch immediately. Humility is a wonderful thing and we’re not interested in hiring ‘rockstars’ or ‘ninjas’.
Fresh fruit; coffee and soft drinks; extended maternity /paternity leave. We have two cats in the office. We take in turns to cook a team meal every Friday on the office Aga. We have some fairly legendary team expeditions: next up, hot air ballooning.