Snowplow Micro setup issue

Hi all,

I’m trying to set up Micro on a Mac with the M1 chip. I pulled it, but get the following error when running it:

The requested image’s platform (linux/amd64) does not match the detected host platform (linux/arm64/v8) and no specific platform was requested

This is my first time using Docker, so any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Marta

Docker support for Apple silicon is still very new and we haven’t updated snowplow-micro to run on M1 chips yet.

I’ve opened a GitHub issue for us to take a look at this in more detail in the future: Add support for linux/arm64 · Issue #47 · snowplow-incubator/snowplow-micro · GitHub
We’d be very much open to a PR to resolve this issue.

I think the only option at the moment is to try and build it from the source Dockerfile (this might help, or official docs), or spin it up on a cloud platform such as AWS ECS.

One extra thought: We are planning to start publishing a JAR with the next snowplow-micro release, which will drop sometime over the next couple of weeks. I don’t believe we’ve tested it on M1 Macs yet but you might have some luck running the JAR outside of Docker.

If you’re feeling particularly adventurous and want to try to build it yourself, you could try and build it on your machine using sbt by following how we build it in the GitHub Action.

I’ll drop an extra note here when the next version is out which will make it far easier than building from source.

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the swift replies and suggestions.

I’m afraid the Github link to where the Snowplow Micro jar file is hosted (https://github.com/snowplow-incubator/snowplow-micro/releases/tag/micro-1.1.2) doesn’t work.

I also tried running the docker installation / usage commands with arch -x86_64 pre-appended, but no luck.

Thanks,
Marta

Yeah, the JAR file isn’t published yet as 1.1.2 isn’t released. It’ll be released in the next couple of weeks, we’re just waiting for another component to be released and upgraded in Micro before pushing the release.

The official jar is now published as we’ve released 1.1.2: Snowplow Micro 1.1.2 released