Snowplow Mini local Vagrant iglu server issue

I’ve setup mini using a vagrant in a local machine. When accessing the home page - this is how it looks:

Is this expected? If so then how do I do this:

As as second step, you should change the super API key for the Iglu schema registry that is bundled with Snowplow Mini. This API key can be changed via the Control Plane tab.

as per the usage guide. I’ve done the steps as detailed in the UI readme.

What am I missing ? Many thanks

Are you getting any errors in the console? There should generally be a UI there.

@mike Where should I look at ? I don’t see any errors after doing vagrant up and then when calling start on snowplow_mini

I’d look in Developer Tools > Console

@mike are you referring to the browser console ?

Yes.

Looking at the screenshot, it looks like the UI hasn’t built correctly for some reason. Besides all the missing content, the P in the header seems rather odd.

I’d second @mike’s suggestion of looking for console errors in the browser, that should give a clue as to whats happening.

I’d suggest trying to force the UI to rebuild by trashing the current UI build, although it would be quite odd that this failed to build in such a way. This isn’t something I’ve experienced before.

Either way, you can try to:
Run vagrant destroy
Navigate to snowplow-mini/provisioning/resources/ui/ and delete dist and node_modules folders.
Then run vagrant up again from the snowplow-mini folder

1 Like

@mike @PaulBoocock This is the console log:

snowplow-mini.js:1 Uncaught TypeError: react_alert_1.default is not a constructor
    at Object.9../AlertOptions (snowplow-mini.js:1)
    at o (snowplow-mini.js:1)
    at snowplow-mini.js:1
    at Object.2../ControlPlaneComponents/AddDomainName (snowplow-mini.js:1)
    at Object.1../components/ControlPlane (snowplow-mini.js:1)
    at r (snowplow-mini.js:1)

Hey @petar,

Just to eliminate a small possibility, please make sure that you use our repository, not a fork or anything else.

git clone git@github.com:snowplow/snowplow-mini.git

Also, if following @PaulBoocock’s recommendation does not work, do you mind deleting local copy of the repository and clone from scratch and let us know how it goes?

I’ve seen many anomalies with Mini but this is the first time I see a P prepended to the header, which made me recommend to start from scratch, using our own repository.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,
Oguzhan

@oguzhanunlu @PaulBoocock @mike That P in the header was something I added just to see if the html is loading properly. Sorry for the confusion.

I’ve followed these steps:

Run vagrant destroy
Navigate to snowplow-mini/provisioning/resources/ui/ and delete dist and node_modules folders.
Then run vagrant up again from the snowplow-mini folder

but the UI is the same with the same error as I posted above:

Uncaught TypeError: react_alert_1.default is not a constructor
    at Object.10../AlertOptions (snowplow-mini.js:1)
    at Object.3../ControlPlaneComponents/AddDomainName (snowplow-mini.js:1)
    at Object.2../components/ControlPlane (snowplow-mini.js:1)
    at r (snowplow-mini.js:1)

Thanks for the clarification @petar !

I’d recommend to

• execute vagrant destroy
  • delete snowplow-mini folder
  • clone the repo
  • build it from scratch by vagrant up

I’ve also built the repository locally from scratch many times and I believe it is just a glitch.

Please let us know how it goes.

Kind regards,
Oguzhan

@oguzhanunlu After cloning the repo again it worked ! (I don’t understand why since I haven’t done any changes besides adding that HTML P so it feels odd but I am glad it works now :smiley: Many thanks for your timely help guys ! Much appreciated

2 Likes

No worries - glad you got this resolved.

@oguzhanunlu I wonder if we should add some simple UI tests for the React components in CI to try and catch any potential UI regressions in the future?

@mike I know this is off topic but since I am trying to get using the mini for the first time - there is another problem I am facing:

when I open /iglu-server I get 404 with this: {"message":"The endpoint does not exist"}

@petar Are you able to create this as a new thread on Discourse (this makes it easier for people to search for any issues and find threads on that topic)?

1 Like

Thanks for the recommendation @mike, I’ll open a new issue and we’ll plan it for a future release.