When to upgrade to R35?

We are still using EmrEtlRunner for the Shredder and Loader steps. This morning I dealt with “just one of those AWS things”, where the RDB Loader step failed, but then completed OK when I reran it with “-f rdb_load”. Something like this happens every couple of months with EmrEtlRunner.

I know that EmrEtlRunner is deprecated. However, R35 Upgrade Guide - Snowplow Docs also cautions that R35 is a public beta.

I would love to hear from anyone who has made the switch, and had either a positive or a negative experience.

Thanks –

Wade Leftwich
Ithaca, NY

Hey @wleftwich,

We’ve released quite a few versions after R35. You can see them here.

I can say that new architecture has been tested in production and working quite well.

It would be better if you can follow the upgrade guides starting from the version you are currently using.

It would be better if you can follow the upgrade guides starting from the version you are currently using.

We are also upgrading from pre-R35 and are considering going straight to 3.0.0 rather than upgrading to each intermediate version. Is there any reason we cannot do this?

Thanks @enes_aldemir .

Is the recommended stack at Latest compatibility matrix - Snowplow Docs up to date?

Yep, you should be good to follow this (I just did a sneaky update to this page today too!).

@dwahl Recommended way is following the guide in order to not miss any required step. We don’t have separate guide for migrating from specific old version to latest version.